Saturday, June 25, 2005

China

It has been 2 weeks since I last blogged. Just came back from China on the 19th of June and I must admit, it has been a very fruitful trip for me.

I learnt a lot of China's history, not that I can remember them, but they really are very impressive. The places I visited are breathtaking ( though they are almost the same =P ). Most of the places visited are huge gardens or memorial halls. Will try to post up some pics as soon as I find my USB wire. Darn.

Shanghai is very very developed, so much so that I see very few trees over the city and the air there is... erm... so bad that you can even differentiate the clouds from the smog. Nope, there isn't any sky there either. The whole city seemed to be covered in a layer of haze. We just took a group picture there and left for Suzhou. Zhi wei treated us to Shanghai Xiao Long Bao and Shui Jiao. The Xiao Long Bao is pretty good but average for the latter. =)

Got a shock when I arrived in Suzhou. I saw bicycles everywhere and there is actually 4 wide lanes on the road. 2 lanes for cars going in opposite directions and 2 lanes for 2 wheel vehicles. Almost everyone is on a bicycle or motorbike. There isn't much people seen crossing the roads at all. And what awed me is the fact that it seems like the most normal thing for the bicycles to ride side by side with the cars. Danger is probably the last thing on the people's minds.

I tried crossing the roads with my friends at night when we hit the streets to shop. Nearly died while crossing because the motorists don't really care whether they will hit you or not. They just come straight at you and it is your business to shoo away on time. Luckily my friends are around because I totally suck at crossing roads. Thank goodness i stay in Singapore.

The food in Suzhou is delicious! Especially the fish. Somehow the chefs there made very simple food to have a very rich taste. No MSG at all. =) Even simple dishes like dried tofu taste so wonderful. Think i ate half a potful =P

My friends impressed me with their shopping skills. Anything that they put on look nice and they buy them straight away. Guess I'm more calm when it comes to shopping as I only buy things that I really like. But then again my lack of impulsiveness in China left me with very few new possessions. hahahah... pathetic in fact when compared with my friends. Cheng yao, Bing Rong and Siping blowed me away when I saw how MUCH they bought. =P

Yangzhou. Yangzhou's fried rice lor!!! 90 points for the dish =P The chef used pearl rice while Singapore's uses the normal rice to fry.

Nanjing. Interacted with the student journalists over there and the youngest among the whole group is still in primary school. There were quite a few of them in fact. And their Chinese standard is really rather high =) I chatted with a secondary one girl called Oujia. Very sweet and cute girl. And I must say she can speak very fluent English. She told me that all the English teachers in her school are from England. No wonder. China's new generation of people are really going to be eye-openers.

Tried smelly tofu in Nanjing. Erm... they are really smelly. REALLY SMELLY esp. when you stand in front of a smelly tofu stall. I tried half and it tasted a bit sour. I think it's because they are fermented ba...

Overall the food there in China is pretty good =) though sometimes they can be really salty or sweet.

I started work again immediately on the monday.Nearly slept while working and my boss treated me a larger cup of coffee then the previous time... =P oops. She always treat me coffee when she realised that I'm about to doze off and of course I get the hint =P Sorry boss. Sorry.

I found that I love working in Tru Marine. The people there are really nice and even the security guard and his black dog are friendly. I see the work as a commitment and even don't mind the OTs.

But because of my work and piano commitments, I started neglecting my violin and the CCA. It's real hard to do a lot of things at the same time or is it just me?? I'm practising my piano as long as I have spare time as I really want to excel in pop playing. BUt darn.... I know my violin mates may probably not speak to me ever again as I miss the practices.

Guess I'm really a lousy person.

posted by qiumqium | 9:36 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


.:Me:.

"Puto-puto" is a native visayan term for "cupcake". =)Yo, I'm Qiumqium, a wrongly spelled name for the meaning of salty in Hokkien.=P Loves to window shop, see the world beyond my window grills. Hopes to walk around the earth one day, sleep under the stars. Feels that languages are beautiful and powerful.

.:chats:.



.:my past:.
You may want to listen to =)
credits
SITE OWNED BY QiumQium
layout design by laurice
image Barunson Co.
download at DDGraphics